Physiotherapy for Children
Our Paediatric Physiotherapists specialise in the assessment and treatment of children and adolescents with orthopaedic, rheumatological, neurological, surgical, respiratory and developmental disorders. Depending on their needs, children can be treated in their home environment or in a dedicated Therapy room in a Healthcare Centre.
Listed below are a few conditions that may benefit from physiotherapy and an index of services. If you are unsure whether we can help your child please contact our team who will be more than happy to discuss this with you.
- Flattened Head (Plagiocephally)
- Positional Talipes
- Developmental delay
- Cerebral Palsy
- Spina Bifida
- Down's Syndrome
- Breathing problems
including Cystic Fibrosis
As listed under 'Babies' plus
- Concerns regarding walking pattern
- Concerns regarding leg shape e.g knocked knees / bowed legs
- Knee Pain, Back Pain
- Hip disorders e.g Perthes, S.U.F.E
- 'Growing pains'
- Hypermobility / joint laxity
- Co-ordination difficulties
- Rehabilitation following trauma / surgery
Physiotherapy Services Include
- Detailed assessments, advice and support
- Joint and soft tissue techniques
- Function and movement training
- Teaching sessions
- Respiratory techniques
- Spasticity management
- Specific exercise programmes
- F.E.S. - Functional Electrical Stimulation
- Taping, splinting, orthotic advice
- Wheelchair, posture and seating assessments
Each session aims to offer effective, evidence-based interventions that are age appropriate and enjoyable for the child. Where necessary the physiotherapist will communicate with other members of the multi-disciplinary team involved in your child’s care. This may include Education services as well as Health. Please do call us if you have any questions.1.