Sports massage is a systematic manipulation and management of soft tissues (muscles, tendons and ligaments) designed to maximise physical performance in athletes. Whether a competitive athlete or social sporting person, sports massage can:
- Enhance pre-event warm up and preparation
- Provide assistance and recovery throughout an event
- Assist with recovery post-event
- Be an effective maintenance tool during training and competition
- Assist with rehabilitation from sports injuries
Sport massage is just as useful and beneficial for non athletes who may suffer from daily overuse problems experienced at work or who may have postural problems or suffer from general strains, fatigue or tension.
Sports massage can be used for:
- Reducing stress and anxiety and restoring energy when fatigued
- Improving posture and aiding body awareness
- Improving muscle suppleness and elasticity
- Improving Range of Motion by loosening restricted joints
- Improving blood and lymphatic circulation
- Prevention of injury or helping to keep minor injuries from becoming a chronic problem
Swedish massage uses some similar techniques to Sports massage however it incorporates longer gliding strokes, less deep tissue work, is slower in speed and is designed to be a more relaxing treatment but one that can still provide many of the benefits above.
All massages are adapted specifically to meet the individual`s needs and requirements following a full thorough consultation.